Saturday, August 18, 2007

What Do I Think

I want to thank everyone who responded with their thoughts on "Black Square" by Malevich. I agree with eveyone else's opinion.
I do not see anything except for a Black Square. It doesn't make me stop. It doesn't make me stare. I think the reason why this piece got so famous is for its novelty and simplicity (simplicity is not always elegance). It was a BOLD move to push this as a work of art. Excuse my language and no offense to Malevich (may he rest in peace), I think the black square sucks. I guess one of the reasons I like collages is for the details. One element flows into the other and leads yet to another. I don't get tired of looking at collages whereas this Black Square puts me to sleep.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hey Lara,

I had to respond to your previous post. But thought I would do it all in one place.

I don't particular like paintings that are painted all one colour. But I still believe it is art. Art is a hard thing to define. Michaelangelo's paintings on the sistine chapel were considered 'obscene' at the time. Today we consider it one of the most beautiful pieces of art.

So, back to this piece, at the time it was probably considered bold...it was probably about questioning and crossing boundaries. Just like Marcel Duchamp's 'Hat rack'.

Hope this all makes sense and I am not rambling.

Rebecca

Anonymous said...

It isn't Art in the traditional sense to me but Art can also be a piece which is supposed to provoke thought in the viewer.
So I guess in that sense it is Art but I prefer stuff which has color and form and is pleasing to the eye.
tc

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara:

Sure, we can exchange links. Your collages are beautiful. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

PS. Sorry, if you don't know who I am here is the link to through which i came to your tutotials website.

http://shiftofoutlines.wordpress.com/2007/07/02/the-wrath-of-the-lion-is-the-wisdom-of-god/

Best

Jorge Cuevas Cid